Women have been supporting women giving birth since the beginning of our time and long before the world of medicine and male doctors. Doulas are that beautiful ancient piece of history of love and support in today’s world. Doulas are not medical in any way; instead, a doula compliments the medical team by providing emotional, physical and educational support to you and your partner during the pregnancy, birth and postpartum period. A doula is a calm and confident presence, encouraging relaxation, trust in your body and connection with your partner.
Benefits of having a doula present at your birth:
- More likely to have a spontaneous vaginal birth
- Decreases risk of cesarean
- Decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- Shorter labors
- Better Apgar scores for baby
- Feel more satisfied about birth experience